THE DRAGONS JOURNAL
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
The Dragons Journal Mission & Description: The Dragons Journal is a compilation of stories, ideas, and experiences of our participants, alum, educators and international colleagues, and communities. It is a publication of Where There Be Dragons, an experiential education organization dedicated to nurturing meaningful intercultural relations through immersive travel. The Dragons Journal has a circulation of about 12k copies and is mailed out to alum, schools, counselors, new participants, and more. Content is often recirculated by blog and social media. The Journal is also tied directly into Dragons values of exploring the full spectrum of human experiences, amplifying marginalized perspectives, and planting the seeds of a more just, compassionate, and equitable society and future.
Example: Here’s a digital version of the 2019 issue.
What We’re Seeking: In each publication we try to represent all of Dragons programming (Student, Adult, Educator/Partnership), a range of regional areas, and a diversity of voices. We invite anyone from within Dragons community (alumni, staff, participants, community hosts, admin, etc.) to submit all forms of literary essays and sub-genres of creative nonfiction. This includes:
- personal essays
- co-authored essays
- lyrical essays
- flash (super short) essays
- research-based essays
- literary journalism
- poems & lyrics
- photo essays
- true stories
- experimental forms: lists, step-by-steps, re-definitions, and hermit crab essays
- Submission or nomination of Yaks also encouraged!
What We’re Especially Seeking: Co-authored pieces that demonstrate a collaborative approach to sharing multiple perspectives; stories that feature voices and perspectives not often heard or that don’t normally have access to being heard; value-based essays. Examples:
- A collaborative essay that tackles one issue/subject from the perspective of student, hosting community member, instructor and/or other.
- A student interview of her homestay sister and/or vice versa.
- A homestay mother conversation with a student’s mother at home.
- A photo essay documenting the day of an NGO worker or ISP mentor.
- An essay written on any subject in tandem between instructors of different citizenships.
- ANYTHING! We’re simply encourage creative thinking and collaboration!
Submission Guidelines: The Dragons Journal typically features 1-pg and 2-pages essays between roughly 600-1500 words. We sometimes publish one longer essay of up to 2,500 words. Typically the editorial process involves cutting copy, so it’s okay to submit essays between 600-3,000 words. If selected for publication, there will be an editorial revision process and a request for a writer byline and supplemental hi-resolution photos (if existing). The Dragons Journal Committee will finalize the selection for each print issue.
Timeline: Essays submitted by June 1st will get priority consideration for publication in the next year’s issue. But we accept submissions all year long and might also publish essays on Dragons Blog, via our Social Channels, or elsewhere.
How to Submit: Questions, proposals, nominations, and submissions can be emailed to email@example.com.