Mission & Values
Our vision is to foster a more compassionate, just, and inclusive world.
We ask our participants to adapt to the places we travel, rather than asking those places to adapt to us. This approach generates reciprocal relationships, full of respect and appreciation. We help participants foster connections with people and places that last long beyond course conclusion. How we travel is foundational to our mission and vision.
MISSION & VISION
Dragons mission is to cultivate meaningful connections through immersive and responsible travel. Our vision, ultimately, is to foster a more compassionate, just, and inclusive world.
There is wisdom in turning as often as possible from the familiar to the unfamiliar; it keeps the mind nimble; it kills prejudice; and it fosters humor.
Dragons Value Statements are the guiding and aspirational principles that unite our community, inform our direction, and help us make tough decisions in times of ambiguity. The work of crafting our Value Statements began with a call to our community of alumni and instructors for essays in response to the prompt: “What is the heart of Dragons?” From those responses we drafted 50 Value Statements. In conjunction with feedback from a community survey, we narrowed the list down to the following seven Value Statements that represent our guiding principles:
- We believe in the power of hands-on experience to elevate perspective and understanding.
- We value curiosity and unscripted spaces to discover, learn, and grow.
- We strive to access, hear, and share marginalized voices and perspectives.
- We celebrate the courage it takes to venture into the unfamiliar and uncomfortable.
- We strive to build community relationships that are reciprocal and sustainable.
- We challenge ourselves to confront systems of power and privilege and our roles within.
- We work to cultivate awe, reverence, and right action for our planet.