Scholarships & Financial Aid
Dragons offers scholarships to outstanding summer and semester applicants who demonstrate financial need.
Due to the high volume of applicants, the process is competitive. Approximately 20% of our students go abroad with some level of financial assistance each year.
Who is eligible?
Any student that demonstrates reasonable financial need is eligible to apply for a scholarship. When awarding scholarships, we look for applicants who are curious, driven and ready to fully engage with communities around the world. Our scholarship students are interested in cultivating self-awareness, global citizenship and leadership skills within themselves, and we hope that they’ll inspire others to do the same. Please note that applying for a scholarship does not guarantee a space on a Dragons program.
How to apply for a scholarship
Step 1 – Fill out an online application.
*Please DO NOT submit a program deposit. The $850 deposit is waived for all scholarship students.
Step 2 – Write us a cover letter to accompany your online application.
The cover letter should include:
- Your top 3 program choices. We cannot guarantee a spot on your first choice program, and being flexible will increase your chances of receiving a scholarship.
- The exact amount of money that you can contribute towards the cost of your program. (It is very rare for Dragons to offer a full scholarship. The more you are able to contribute, the greater the likelihood that we’ll be able to support you with a scholarship. Please be precise; if we do not have this information, we cannot consider your application.
- Specific information about any previous financial assistance that you have received for summer programs or school tuition.
- Information about the parent/guardian who will be covering the remainder of your tuition costs.
- Anything else that we should know about your financial situation?
Step 3 – Include copies of your most recent Student Aid Report (SAR), FAFSA Form or BOTH of your parents’ most recent Federal tax return.
*If only one parent is contributing to the cost of the program, please explain the circumstances in your cover letter.
Submit your cover letter and pertinent financial aid information via:EMAIL: email@example.com
MAIL: Where There Be Dragons
3200 Carbon Place, Suite 102
Boulder, CO 80301
When we have received your completed program application and scholarship documents, our Admissions Team will conduct an initial review. If we determine that we may be able to support your scholarship request, we will contact you to schedule an admissions interview. Please note that this is the next step in the process and not a guarantee of receiving a scholarship. Once your file is complete with a program application, scholarship application, phone interview, teacher recommendation and counselor form (if applicable), our Scholarship Review Committee will evaluate our ability to provide you with a scholarship. A scholarship offer or decline will be communicated by email.
Scholarship applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Please submit your request early so that we can consider it in our first round of review.
- For SUMMER scholarship applications, we will begin our rolling decisions on March 1, and we’ll accept applications until April 1.
- For FALL scholarship applications, we will begin our rolling decisions on June 1, and we’ll accept applications until July 1.
- For SPRING scholarship applications, we will begin our rolling decisions on November 1, and we’ll accept applications until December 1.
After the final deadline, please call or email to ask if any funds remain.
Be patient and pro-active. We receive many more scholarship applications than we are able to support.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much financial assistance can I expect to receive?
Dragons awards scholarships based on demonstrated financial need. A scholarship may support anywhere from 10% of the land cost up to 80% of the land cost for a course. The average scholarship package covers 40% of the land cost.
How can I reserve a space on a specific program?
The only way to guarantee a spot is to pay the $850 deposit, which takes you out of consideration for a scholarship. Please do not submit a deposit if you are applying for a scholarship!
What happens if my first choice program is full?
We ask that scholarship students be flexible in their program choice. Depending on course enrollment, we are able to offer more financial aid on specific courses, and thus we do our best to match your level of financial need, as well as your course area interest.
How many scholarship students does Dragons support each session?
We support approximately 35 scholarship students each summer, and 20 scholarship students during the fall and spring semesters. The number of scholarships provided is based on a variety of factors, including: the number of program participants, the number of scholarship applicants, the amount of need, the student’s enthusiasm and an appropriate fit for our program.
How else can I support my trip?
If we are unable to accommodate your level of financial need, don’t give up. Students fund their experiences with Dragons in many ways. This could be a good reason to get a job, to start a Kickstarter or Project Travel account, or research other ways to support your travels abroad.